Wednesday, March 11, 2009

VERY INFORMATIVE FROM FRIEND ED - THANKS ED!

Heidi,

You have touched on a subject that has become near and dear to my heart. Have you read Michael Pollen's great books The Omnivore's Dilemma, The Botany of Desire, and In defense of food". Great reads. I also just finished Animal, Veritable Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. Powerful stuff while still being a fun "page burner" read!

I have some of these in mp3 format if they tickle your fancy!

Nothing is more intimate than food. We vote three times a day what to put inside ourselves, and our kids. It literally becomes our living flesh, yet we often give it scant regard not caring where it came from, how it was grown, and how it got from earth to plate. Multi Nationals are now playing God with our seeds and I was sad to see that Monsanto GMO corn and soy were pervasive in SA. If you get a chance look for the torrent "The World according to Monsanto" - scary, but ignorance is no defence!

I am an active member of www.slowfood.com. There charter is broad but encompasses so much of what I feel is important about food. If there is a SA chapter you should look into it.

The Petersen household today includes an ever expanding veggie garden, and multi planting fruit orchard designed specifically for urban dwellers with matchbox size lots like mine. Growing food has opened my eye's and dare I say soul in ways I am still trying to comprehend. We are members of a local CSA (community Supported Agriculture) and every two weeks we get a box of organic veggies which never fails to entertain and baffle the mediocre chef's in Kaz and I. It is amazing how many great veggies / fruits we receive that we have no idea what they are called which renders Google rather useless.

Anyway, enough! I am so glad you are in recovery.

Keep well. Love to Glenn and the fam.

Ed / Kaz / Justin / Bradley

No comments:

LiveHeidi

Loading...