Thursday, May 7, 2009

BIO-IDENTICAL PROGESTERONE

I went to Dr Gareth Edwards (my plastic surgeon, sure you know his name well by now!) again today for my weekly squirt of saline into my breast tissue expanders.

I asked more about my progesterone receptor result that had come back ambivalant when the estrogen receptor status was initally done. I asked whether the test could be redone. He said yes, and ordered a re-run (results will be ready on Monday).

I gathered from Gareth that the medical world does not care as much about the progesterone receptor status because they don't have a method of dealing with it.

I went home and read some more of Dr John R Lee's book 'What your Dr may not tell you about Menopause' and in which he details how having progesterone positive receptors on breast cancer cells is a good thing as this allow the progesterone into the cells. This can also happen if the receptor results come back negative as there are always progesterone receptors on breast cells.

Estrogen causes immature breast cells to divide more rapidly, while Progesterone slows the breast cell division and encourages cells to mature.

I am now waiting for my saliva progesterone, estrogen, testosterone, DHEA-S, and cortisol levels. These tests are still quite new in this country so the lab is taking it's time. I am on them!

I need these results to determine what percentage of progesterone to have mixed into the cream, and also as a marker to see what my hormone levels are before and after treatment.

I would start taking Progesterone now if I could! I am very excited that bio-identical progesterone is the alternative to Tamoxifen I was looking for!

In Dr John R Lee's book's, he pulls together most of my symptoms as being due to low progesterone levels:
  • the adrenal fatigue - progesterone is a precursor to cortisol, the body's stress hormone.
  • the slightly under active thyroid - low cortisol suppresses thyroid function
  • the weight gain after haivng both my children - estrogen dominence
  • the impaired blood sugar levels for most of my 20's and early 30's- estrogen dominence
  • the low sex drive- estrogen dominence
  • the suppressed immune system (zinc boosts the immune system and low progesterone levels cause a loss of zinc and a rise in copper - this can also lead to infertility)- estrogen dominence
  • low oxygen levels - cancer is believed to grow in an anaerobic (no oxygen), acidic inter- and intracellular environment. Estrogen dominence reduces oxgygen levels in cells while progesterone promotes cellular oxygenation- estrogen dominence.
  • the risk of gall bladder disease - this was a strange one to find. Towards the end of my pregnancy with Lily, my 2nd child, I had very itchy, yellow palms of my hands and soles of my feet. After much reading online, I determined that I had cholestasis due to pregnancy. This is temporary and is caused by the pressure of the baby on the gall bladder which hinders the free flow of bile from the gall bladder into the intesttine. The result is the back up of bilirubin in the blood, hence the yellow colour and the itchy. I never thought much of it it then but I wonder whether that was linked to low progesterone levels back then already??


If you are a woman, I urge you again, to read the books by Dr John R Lee - in them, he answers so many questions we all have but that our doctors may not have answers for.

After a close read of Dr John R Lee's website, I realise he died in 2003 so I will not be able to to email him! www.johnleemd.com

No comments:

LiveHeidi

Loading...